Doctoral Student Plays with the UF Athletic Bands for Ten Years

Published: April 24th, 2013

Eric Soule, MPH, is a doctoral candidate in the Department of Behavioral Science and Community Health (BSCH). Soule began playing in the University of Florida bands in 2003 during his freshman year of undergrad. During his undergraduate years he played saxophone in six different performing ensembles including the Pride of the Sunshine Gator Marching Band, the Basketball Pep Band, the Volleyball Pep Band, Concert Bands, Saxophone Ensemble, and a Saxophone Quartet. While completing his MPH and currently working on his PhD, Soule continued playing in the Basketball Pep band, allowing him to play in the University of Florida athletic bands for ten years. Soule is known around the BSCH Department for his Gator Band pride. Each year, he shares his talent by playing at the annual departmental Holiday Party. Soule plans to continue playing with the UF Pep Bands while he finishes his PhD.

“Playing in the band has been a great experience. I love to play and it’s great that I’ve had an opportunity to keep music in my life. Playing with the UF athletic bands has given me the opportunity to see and do many things that otherwise would have been impossible. I’ve had the privilege to visit many cities across the country, I’ve seen three national championships, and I’ve been on television countless times, all of it while doing something I love. I still love to play and I hope to keep music in my life as long as I can.”