Catching up with John Saxon, Emeritus Faculty

Published: April 2nd, 2014

john saxon

“Retirement is good.” This is Dr. John Saxon’s reply to an inquiry from our web team about how he has been since his retirement from his faculty position in the Department of Behavioral Science and Community Health in 2006. He goes on to describe how retirement has afforded him with opportunities for involvement in several rewarding activities.

One such activity is involvement with an outreach called Downtown Ministry, an organization put together by Holy Trinity Episcopal Church  that helps homeless and other indigent individuals obtain access to their birth certificates and legal identification. “Legal IDs and or birth certificates may be necessary for employment, entry into school, and many available services in the Gainesville area. On a limited basis, individuals are assisted with prescriptions, bus passes, clothes, and personal items. This outreach has a rehabilitation perspective on assisting individuals to become more independent.” says Dr. Saxon.

He has also become more involved in his church, recently completing a one-year training program to become a verger in the Episcopal Church and achieving another life-long dream along the way. “One long term goal was accomplished last year in that I made a 10 day trip to Israel. I visited many locations listed in the New Testament, as well as, other interesting places.”

Of course, one of the highlights of retirement, he says, is spending more time with family. “[My wife] Mary has retired and she and I have more time together to enjoy many things and also do some traveling. She and I both enjoy her jewelry making activities. My grandchildren are becoming grown (one is at USF majoring in engineering and another is graduating from high school and has been accepted to USF) and one of my sons is in the retirement Drop Program.”

For more information about Dr. Saxon or any of our other current, adjunct and emeritus faculty, you can visit our faculty page.